Author: Shoshanna Lee
Savor this spicy and hot chicken preparation which is flavored with an extremely aromatic and flavorful sauce base giving it a divine taste and texture.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 500 gm chicken breasts (chopped)
- ground black pepper (as per taste)
- 1 dried red chili (coarsely ground)
- 5 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1" ginger piece (finely minced)
- 3 to 4 scallions (white part finely chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 40 ml Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp Chinese chili oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1-1/2 dark soy sauce
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp black or white sesame seeds
- 1 fresh red chili (chopped)
- kosher salt (as per taste)
- cilantro sprigs (for garnish)
- Apply ground pepper and kosher salt on chicken pieces and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock in a large nonstick pan and put it on a medium flame.
- When it starts simmering, add chicken pieces with minced garlic, minced ginger, chopped scallions and Chinese cooking wine.
- Close the lid and simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove pieces from the flavorful stock and put the pan back on the burner.
- Switch the flame to low and add ground dried red chili, Chinese five spice powder, cornstarch, Chinese chili oil, sesame oil, dark soy sauce and sugar.
- Simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes until the fiery sauce thickens.
- Take a large serving bowl and pour all the sauce base in it.
- Dip all the chicken pieces in it.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, fresh chopped red chili and cilantro sprigs.
- Serve hot with your favorite beverage.