Yam is quite popular in south Asia and several unique and delicious recipes are prepared from it. Generally, we make curried yam but today's recipe is quite different. I've fried yam pieces with herbs and spices which are topped with a tangy salsa. The base is formed by moist rice noodles to complete this scrumptious meal. One can easily add sweet potatoes and other tuberous veggies in this recipe to get a different taste. If you want to experiment a bit, top this recipe with a spicy dip or sauce made from fruits. This preparation can be consumed as an appetizer or as a snack. You must consume this recipe within 24 hours as fried yam pieces may not taste as original after a day or two.
- 300 gm yam (chopped)
- 100 gm rice noodles
- 1 cup cucumber (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp oyster sauce
- few drops of sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove (mashed)
- 4 tsp olive oil
- oil for deep frying
- salt to taste
- Add rice noodles in lukewarm water for about 30 minutes.
- Drain all the water and sprinkle sesame oil on them. Mix well with a fork and keep aside.
- Take yam pieces in a bowl and add paprika, white pepper powder, turmeric powder and salt in it.
- Mix well and keep aside for about 10 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan.
- Fry all the seasoned yam pieces on a medium flame till they turn light brown.
- Take 2 tsp of olive oil in a wok.
- Add mashed garlic and saute for about a minute.
- Add rice noodles with oyster sauce and a pinch of salt.
- Stir fry on a high flame for about 3 to 4 minutes and bring down from the flame.
- Take a bowl and add chopped tomatoes and cucumber in it.
- Pour 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil in it with lime juice and salt.
- Mix well with a wooden spatula.
- Take a serving plate and arrange rice noodles at the base.
- Place fried yam pieces on top of it.
- Add tangy salsa on top and garnish with white sesame seeds.
- Serve with chips and coffee.